Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Friendship...

Let me not leave any stones unturned here, Reddys recent wedding and the circumstances surrounding it have had some effect on me. Well some of it not my own doing, here the credit goes to Reddy for increasing the pressure on the last of the remaining class of 93 to pass out of Loyola, to jump into the ditch (marriage wagon ) where a large group of those who either jumped in themselves or were pushed in by surprise await us. Yes the parents are already talking, what about, you! When are you going to …… etc. Well guys don’t laugh too much, we ( Prasad and me, still single, here in India ) still can claim to have the better of the deals.
Freedom as we know it, you guys can never taste again, But thanks, now to Reddy its almost down to the last few breaths (at least in my case). None the less it’s accepted as a necessary part of life that has to be, someday (the question being how far can that someday be pushed).
But the main thing that got me writing this, were old memories of our School and college days. Of the old hangouts, and the cycle rides, the picnics to the Parvath and the games of monopoly (ones that I always used to loose), the days spent playing carom and evenings, cricket. Of collecting stamps and reading library books. Of the fights in School and the great times we had. Life seemed to be in a different plane altogether back then. Every thing was so dam easy and yet the smallest of decisions brought on the greatest of fear, anxiety and tension. I ask myself, any thing I would want to change from back than? Well! Its something I don’t know yet, May be sometime after I am 60 year old I may feel like changing some bits, but for now guess I will let it be.
Those were the days of the deepest of friendships and bonding I can recall all my life, It seemed, friends back than were to be as they were, for life, and how the perspective changed. Yes the friends are still there and some, still going strong, but its been a while already since each choose his own path in life, some going divergent ways and some convergent. Today it’s the most unlikely of bonds that seemed to have survived the weathering of time. Definitely no regrets there, but a passing thought on how life changes beyond expectations.
One of the lessons friendship thought me in life, was how life changes people. And here I don’t just mean in physical appearance. People change right from their roots in virtually every sphere and aspect of life, given the right stimuli and circumstances, and that in my books is the essence of life. The people once much admired and adored can turn out to be the ones you can’t stand and the one you shun and abhor, the best of comrades. For now if I feel sorry its only for those people who don’t know or accept this fact of life. For its them who loose out on the best of opportunities life throws their way. Finally the sights and sounds of the world are there for all to see over and over again, but a beautiful friendship and a relationship comes once in a lifetime.
This here is a tribute to all my friends, guys, life would not be the same without you. Yes we have seen ups and downs, the good and bad times, the sad and happy occasions, but wherever you are today, you have had a significant effect on one life, my life, an effect I am both, happy and proud of. Thanks for being yourselves and, being there. You mean the world to me….. Here’s thanking you guys for everything and wishing you the very best of luck for the future.
Ok now don’t go off on a tangent as usual wondering why I am writing all this senti stuff, out of the blue. Meeting Reddy and seeing him get married reminded he of our old time and got me into a very sentimental mood, that’s all, not lost my marbles yet…..

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude, whats up? You seem to be closer than ever before to getting married. Inspite of most marriage jokes we keep making, marriage can be one of the most gratifying experiences of life :-). So, go for it and see how happy you will get. I am sure seeing a married Suhas and Reddy has to totally flummoxed :-)

Anonymous said...

isn't it interesting to see what one's friends getting married can do to us..it brings the whole world into perspective...we start thanking our friends for a reason that need not exist because a friend by deifinition need not be thanked cause that being the job description......being there.
we then have to defend of disordered intelect by assuring one and all that our marbles are in place......thus thinking about it if you actually feel as though you have marbles in your head then i suppose you are excused....:-)
anywy it been my greatest pleasure being your friend.......and any comments i have on marriage i think i will reserve for the moment. your efforts are greatly appreciated because the blog is great.